Pages

Monday 30 November 2015

Right leads and roller coasters

A few days ago....

(November 25)

Lesson day!

Athena has a deep set desire to not take a right lead, so we did a little exercise at the beginning of the lesson to encourage a right lead.  It was a game of follow the leader with another rider who was present.  It was very simple, keep close and stay behind.  The whole point was that we'd be going to the right and canter along with another horse which should help her stay motivated when it comes to keeping her canter and hopefully going onto the right lead.  If she stuck with a left lead that was okay too as long as she was moving right.

Are we done yet?


We did this twice, and I have learned that I have a lot more learning to do when it comes to cantering her right.  Much celebration was had and because that is her weak side the remainder of the lesson was no stirrup work so that she could rest while I got to work hard.  I knew this was coming, I've heard other riders talking about how intense it's been this week.

I'm fairly certain the entire push behind doing no stirrups November at the end of the month is because my trainer just went to a George Morris clinic.  I don't enjoy no stirrups work... but I do understand its usefulness and in that sense I try to embrace it as much as possible.  I'm just having trouble with how much pain I'm in after that lesson.  There wasn't even a tremendous amount of no stirrup work.  It just goes to show how out of shape I am... and also that apparently my muscles aren't yet done with me yet.  I have been plagued with leg issues for a couple weeks and I'm finally giving in and getting some treatment.



Now Athena will have the pleasure of 2 days off because my glutes are still spasming on Thursday and I have some sales to take advantage of on Friday morning.

I just hope she's not too warm today with her blankets on.  The weather does this awesome (read: ridiculous) roller coaster in S. Alberta where it went from -20 C with wind chill to +5 C in a matter of 48 hours.  But I will be out tomorrow and she will have one of her blankets removed/changed for hopefully more than 2 days... Welcome to Alberta!

No comments:

Post a Comment