Pages

Friday 9 June 2017

2016 Recap

So I wrote this... a few months ago.  PS I'm not a very consistent blogger.

...

.....

...

Hello....

(it's me)

I haven't posted lately.  I've been a bit busy but also not super motivated about posting, unfortunately.

So 2016 in review:

January

  • Chiro visits, Athena loved it!
  • Athena had her clip refined (she needs more than a trace clip).
  • I made a quarter sheet.
February
  • Riding outside!  In February!  
  • I locked myself out of my tack locker and had to manage out of my car.  Thankfully my saddle and bridle were at home and I had a spare pair of riding boots.
  • Jumping lessons continued to progress, jumping 2' - 2'3"
March
  • New bonnet came in from FUN bonnets, this is around the time that I learned I have an affinity for taking pictures of my mare with her eyes closed.
  • Grazing with Tess is the best!
  • We went to our very first show and it wasn't a disaster!
April
  • Grazing with Mark is fun too!
  • Equestrian expo and trade show "The Mane Event" with some of my fav horse gals happened.  It was great watching the Jim Wofford clinics.
May
  • Nothing super exciting or memorable horse related but I did start a new job.
June
  • One day in mid-May we had a weird lesson where Athena kept cross cantering.  Within the next week she came up lame.
  • We tried a few things before going to the vet: cold hosing, then after mild to no response we tried DMSO and wraps.  We were unable to go school cross country.
July
  • Lameness was assessed and vet determined the underlying cause is arthritic hocks.  So, we do injections.
  • Yay! Everything is good again, work continues after completing her prescribed rest period.
August
  • Start jumping lessons?  Think again puny human!  Athena is lame again.
  • A suspicious bump appears on her leg...
  • Still lame after approx. 2 weeks.  Time to get the vet again.  
Yep, that's a fracture.

August - October
  • Hand-grazing while the weather held and then after it got crappy we ended up just chilling in the barn a lot while her BoT wraps did their circulatory magic, then the ice boots did their magic.
  • I read a lot of books.
October
  • Started riding again after follow up x-rays.  Very short rides but oh so blissful!
November
  • We were still working up to longer rides but at least we were trotting now!
  • By the end of the month we were cantering for short periods.
December
  • More riding!
  • Christmas!
  • Stress!

No comments:

Post a Comment